How to Apply

Join our faith-supportive campus and receive a world-class education. With one-on-one support from professors, more opportunities to get involved, and a friendly, caring community—your growth over the next four years will be spectacular.

You belong here.

Admissions Requirements

Academic Standards

To earn full admission, students must meet or exceed our minimum academic standards.

First-year: 2.5 GPA at any previously attended high school*
Transfer: 2.5 GPA at any previously attended college

*GED certificate recipients must meet or exceed the minimum standardized test scores required for high school graduates. Southern Virginia University does not accept ability-to-benefit (ATB) or eligible Career Pathways programs.

Provisional Admission

Students who do not meet our minimum academic standards may still apply and earn provisional admission. We ask these students to demonstrate their commitment to improving academically and adhering to the standards of our University.


To verify application information, we ask students to submit copies of their transcripts for review. Unofficial copies are acceptable for an admissions decision, however, official transcripts are required before beginning classes.

Admissions Process

You can apply at anytime to become a Knight. We have rolling admissions, so there are no hard deadlines to apply for the Fall or Spring semester.

When you start an application, you will be paired with one of our friendly admissions counselors to guide you through the rest of the process. They can help you complete your application, learn about financial aid and scholarships, plan a campus visit, and answer any questions along the way!

Once you complete our free application and submit all required materials, you will receive an admissions decision and academic scholarship decision within a few days.

Links to SVU’s Code of Conduct page: Contact your Admissions Counselor

From Step One to Your First Day

  1. 1. Complete the New tabapplication
  2. 2. Submit your transcripts
  3. 3. Complete the New tabFAFSA
  4. 4. Receive an admissions decision, New tabscholarship award decision, and financial aid award letter
  5. 5. Submit your New tabdeposit
  6. 6. Enroll in classes, apply for New tabhousing, and get ready for the New tabfirst day of class!

Transcript FAQs

A transcript is a copy of your permanent academic record. It contains a complete list of courses you attempted and completed, the grades associated with those courses, as well as any degrees or awards earned at that institution (high school or college). Transcripts are key to transferring credits from one school to another and are the best way to verify your prior academic performance.

  • Transcripts are generally located in the Records Office at your high school, or in the Registrar’s Office of your college or university. You may be able to access your unofficial transcript online, using your personal student login information for that institution. You can also ask your high school counselor if you are unsure where to request them at your high school.

  • The most common way is to request them directly from your high school. Most schools will have a way to do this online, but you may have to contact the central office. Be prepared to provide personal identification information. If you need your college or university transcript, you can visit the school’s website for instructions.

  • Unofficial transcripts can be emailed to Please make sure that your name and educational institution are visible on the transcript. Official transcripts must come directly from the institution either through physical mail, a transcript portal, or email. Physical transcripts can be mailed to:

    1 University Hill Dr.
    ATTN: Admissions
    Buena Vista, VA

  • The cost for official transcripts varies from institution to institution. Some schools provide them free of charge, others may charge a processing fee. Most schools provide this service for under $10.

  • An Unofficial transcript is an unsigned and unverified copy of your academic record and it can come directly from you. It can be useful in determining potential scholarship eligibility or transfer credits. It is also how you can receive an admissions decision. However, an unofficial transcript is merely a placeholder. You must send official transcripts before the add/drop period of your first semester to be considered enrolled.

    An Official transcript is a certified, legal document that comes directly from your previous school to Southern Virginia University after you have graduated, or completed all classes at that institution if you are a transfer student. Neglecting to send complete transcripts—even for courses you don’t want to transfer to Southern Virginia University—is considered falsifying your academic record.

  • You do not need to have graduated from high school before sending transcripts. You can send an unofficial transcript after you complete your Junior year to begin the admissions process.

  • Unofficial transcripts must include your name and the name of the educational institution, as well as the course, grades you received, and credits. If you are a high school student, your unofficial transcripts should show that you have completed your Junior year of high school to receive your admissions decision.

  • Poor grades don’t necessarily disqualify you from attending Southern Virginia University. If your GPA is below our admissions requirement of 2.5, you will be considered a provisional applicant. Provisional applicants go through further review and interviewing before an admissions decision is made.

  • You do not need to wait to submit your transcripts. If your grades do improve, we will update your records and scholarships accordingly when we receive your official transcript. It is better to start working with your admissions counselor now instead of waiting.

  • Dual-enrollment credits are awarded from a local university or community college that is associated with your high school. In order to have your dual-enrollment credits considered for transfer, you will need to request your official transcript from that institution. Even if your dual-enrollment classes are listed on your official high school transcript, they cannot be used for transfer consideration.

  • Homeschooled students can submit homeschool transcripts or a portfolio of schoolwork showing variety and depth of study. These can be obtained by your private educator. For additional questions, please contact your admissions counselor.

  • You only need to submit transcripts from the high school you are currently attending or from which you graduated. They should have combined the records from the schools you previously attended.

  • If an official transcript is sent electronically through a transcript portal such as Parchment or Clearinghouse, those are received within a few days—sometimes sooner. Physical mail takes longer and depends on how it is sent, but may take a few weeks.

Questions? We’re here to help!

Our friendly admissions counselors are here to be your guides throughout the application process. Reach out through email, call, or text and they will be happy to answer your questions!

Request Info