The first third of our mission is to “Gather” – it is at the heart of everything we do, and is one of the most disrupted aspects of life during this pandemic. That said, we are committed to do everything we can to simultaneously adhere to all important safety guidelines, and still come together and have an engaging, valuable, and bettering community building experience.
This is an opportunity to discover what it really means to be an artist, musician, actor, producer, creator, etc. in 2020 and beyond. We will not be providing a watered-down attempt of what we normally do, but rather a new, exciting, innovative, ground-breaking way of maintaining our University and artistic values.
Here are a just a few of the opportunities we are exploring:
- Upgrading and purchasing cutting edge technologies such as new microphones, cameras, software, equipment, and more that will allow us to record and stream together socially distanced and in our various ensemble and practice spaces
- Diving deeper into Southern Virginia University’s Launchpad Initiative and exploring the creative possibilities of each student’s iPad Pro. We are partnering with several app and software developers that are working on low-latency collaborative tools to record and teach lessons, participate in master classes and projects with industry professionals, and more
- Project-based collaborations across the division in film (including acting, scoring, writing, etc.), music videos, special effects design, chamber music (instrumental & vocal), and much more
- Placing the Marching & Pep Band on hiatus in the Fall to anticipate fan limitations at live sporting events, and adapt our wind & percussion ensemble offerings so all of those musicians can still perform
- Outdoor performing and rehearsal venues, temperature checks at live performances, socially distanced audiences, washing and disinfecting all of our pianos and keyboards before and after each use, joining with the rest of University community in our efforts to keep everyone safe
- Purchasing new instruments to ensure there will be no sharing between players
This Fall will be an exciting time to be at Southern Virginia University, particularly in the Fine & Performing Arts. Our faculty are among the most gifted teachers, musicians, actors, composers, artists, and creators in their fields, and we can’t wait to show you what we have in store for you.