Southern Virginia University seeks to hire a Dean of Students, who serves as the
university’s primary student-facing representative and leader. This position is
responsible for building and maintaining a positive relationship with the student
body, monitoring the campus environment, promoting the Code of Conduct, and
working with other university leaders to ensure that student needs are being met.
As a member of the President’s Leadership Council, the Dean of Students manages
teams and projects directly while also working with other campus leaders to lead
and coordinate student-related programs and services at the university. Interested
candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and professional references to
Southern Virginia University is a growing, private residential university. Located
in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, the university maintains standards aligned
with the values of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and welcomes
students & employees of any religious persuasion who share those values.
Applicants are invited to learn more about the university at svu.edu.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 5+ years in progressive leadership roles
- Experience managing projects and teams
- Ability to build positive relationships with students, parents, and employees
- High-level interpersonal skills, situational awareness, and judgment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible schedule allowing attendance at university events outside of normal
- Graduate degree in a relevant field
- Advanced leadership experience in Higher Education
- Advanced managerial skills, such as budgeting, marketing, data analysis, team building, etc.
- Experience creating and implementing detailed policies
- Experience in health, wellness, and/or mental health areas
- Represent the university to the student body while building positive relationships with individual students and groups. Attend university events, such as performances, athletic events, devotionals, and other activities, to build and strengthen those relationships while assessing and monitoring the general campus atmosphere.
- Serve as the university’s primary leader in supporting and promoting the principles found in the Code of Conduct. Work with other university leaders to teach those principles to students and employees and to revise the Code of Conduct when necessary.
- Chair the Dean’s Council, which responds to concerns about student compliance with the Code of Conduct.
- Meet with students directly to resolve conduct issues and provide support for students experiencing personal and academic challenges.
- Work with the Wellness Center to provide mental health and other wellness resources to students.
- Lead the University Housing team, ensuring that appropriate housing resources are being provided to students while also achieving university goals for that business unit.
- Manage the Student Life and Activities team.
- Chair the Behavior Intervention Team and work closely with the office of the Provost, Wellness Center, Student Success, and Security.
- Develop policy, working with students, university leaders, and legal counsel
- Create and implementing department goals, policies, budgets, and procedures
- Engage, encourage, and motivate students to excel academically
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Southern Virginia University Mission Statement
Interested candidates should submit a resume and optional letter of recommendation to Human Resources at email@example.com.
Our mission is to gather faithful Latter-day Saints and like-minded students, lift them in intellect, character, and spirituality, and launch them into successful lives and careers.
Southern Virginia University is an equal opportunity employer. This document provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job, and the general nature and level of work associated therewith. It should not be interpreted as describing all duties related to this position, nor used to limit the nature and extent of assignments given to an employee.Review of applications will begin immediately.