Institution: Southern Virginia University
Location: Buena Vista, VA.
Salary: Full-time w/benefits
Fresh off multiple men’s and women’s conference championships in both XC and T&F, Southern Virginia University (SVU) is seeking to add a full-time coach for a program that has more than doubled in size in the past year. The Assistant Track & Field/XC Coach will be responsible for recruiting and coaching student-athletes primarily in the jumps and hurdles, reports to the Director of XC/T&F, and supports the SVU mission as well as the ideals of the USA South Conference and the NCAA Division III athletic philosophy.
Job Responsibilities (Coaching, Recruiting, Administration)
- Regularly meet with SAs regarding their well-being and academic progress
- Plan workouts for assigned event group including the set up / tear down of equipment
- Coordinate strength work with our sport specific strength coach
- Coach SAs at all T&F meets at which they compete.
- Maintain a positive relationship with SAs as they graduate and become alumni
- In coordination with the Director, recruit potential student-athletes (PSAs) who are able to become strong SAs aligned with the T&F/XC program and SVU ideals including:
- identifying and recruiting PSAs who are competitive;
- regularly communicating with PSAs throughout the recruiting process;
- attending venues and evaluating PSAs;
- hosting PSAs on campus;
- and helping PSAs transition into the university and T&F program
- Administrative tasks required:
- attend regular T&F/XC coaching and athletic staff meetings;
- provide input regarding program direction and specifically within events coached;
- and assist with administrative tasks as requested by the Director and/or AD staff.
- Experience competing in the Hurdles and/or Jumps, preferably at the collegiate level
- Experience coaching Hurdles and/or Jumps, preferably at least 5 years
- Have current First Aid/CPR training; or the ability to obtain such before employment
- Have completed T&F coaching education; or complete within 3 months of employment:
- USATF Level I Certification or
- USTFCCCA T&F Technical Certification or
- T&F Coaching concentration via Higher Education or other accredited body
- Ability to work both independently and with a team committed toward SA well-being
Southern Virginia University is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, send résumé to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin June 13, 2022.
Southern Virginia University is a rapidly growing, private undergraduate liberal-arts University. Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley, the University maintains standards aligned with the values of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and welcomes students & employees of any religious persuasion who share those values. Applicants are invited to learn more about the University at svu.edu.