Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for full-time employment as a Short Order Cook in Dining Services.
Prepares and cooks to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. Takes orders and serves guests at food service counter.
- Take customer orders according to University procedure and prepare orders to customer specifications
- Perform food preparation such as slicing garnishes, carving meats, and cleaning produce
- Grill and garnish hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats
- Grill, cook, and fry other food such as fries, eggs, and chicken
- Prepare and serve hot and cold sandwiches to customer specifications
- Maintain clean and orderly refrigerators and work areas. Make sure stations are cleaned, sanitized, and organized daily.
- Maintain clean presentation equipment
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of food service industry and ability to follow standard recipes
- Superior communication and customer service skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to use kitchen equipment including ovens, range, mixer, slicer, steamer, dish machine, deep fryer, grill, can opener, steam tables, salad bar, etc.
- High school diploma or GED
- Two year’s food service experience
- Culinary education desired
- Possess or be willing to obtain ServSafe Food Handler Certification
Most work is performed in a kitchen or dining area; as such, there will be exposure to hazards such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, exposure to high heat, and exposure to chemicals. This can be a high-stress environment, especially at peak service hours. The worker is required to lift 50 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds frequently, and 10 pounds usually to move objects. The worker will be required to stand for extended periods of time and to perform repetitive tasks.
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be given full consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Completed applications will include a cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation and/or professional references. These materials should be submitted (preferably electronically) to:
Office of Human Resources
Southern Virginia University
One University Hill Drive
Buena Vista, VA 24416