Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for full-time employment as the University’s Senior Accountant.
The Senior Accountant reports directly to the Controller and supervises the accounting staff in providing multiple accounting services related to preparing, analyzing, maintaining and reviewing various financial statements, records and reports for the University.
- Supervises accounting staff in preparing monthly journal entries and maintaining general ledger of the university to ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses
- Supervises accounting staff in preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual tax and other governmental report forms
- Prepares cash projections
- Accurately reconciles payroll, donation, benefits and other primary accounts and resolves accounting discrepancies and irregularities
- Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities
- Analyzes and advises on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments, and future revenues
- Performs problem solving/trouble shooting with other departments relating to financial/accounting/business issues
- Assists in compiling financial and other data for various federal reports
- Assists with financial audit preparation
- Assists in preparing financial statements and other financial reports
- Assists the Controller to ensure compliance with university policies
- Assists the Controller with budget functions as needed
- Leads and serves the University and the staff by example in supporting the University’s mission
- Performs other duties as may be assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business, or related field
- Three or more years of experience in the accounting field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Preferred: Tax accounting experience
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be given full consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Completed applications will include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. These materials should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.