Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for full-time employment as a Salad Bar Preparer in Dining Services.
Responsible for setup, replenishment, sanitation, and breakdown of salad bar. Assists supervisor and cooks in rotation of fresh produce and works in production of quality products for presentation in the salad bar.
- Set up salad bar daily and replenish food items as needed throughout daily service times
- Prepare salad bar food items according to recipes, prep lists, and food standards
- Adhere to proper food handling procedures
- Maintain proper rotation of food to assure top quality and freshness and collect, cover, label, and properly store leftovers
- Maintain clean and orderly refrigerators and work areas. Make sure stations are cleaned, sanitized, and organized daily
- Maintain clean presentation equipment. Make sure salad bar is emptied, cleaned, and sanitized daily.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of food service industry and ability to follow standard recipes
- Attention to detail and communication and customer service skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to use kitchen equipment including ovens, range, mixer, slicer, steamer, dish machine, deep fryer, grill, can opener, steam tables, salad bar, etc.
- High school diploma or GED
- Two year’s food service experience
- Culinary education desired
- Possess or be willing to obtain ServSafe Food Handler Certification
Most work is performed in a kitchen or dining area; as such, there will be exposure to hazards such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, exposure to high heat, and exposure to chemicals. This can be a high-stress environment, especially at peak service hours. The worker is required to lift 50 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds frequently, and 10 pounds usually to move objects. The worker will be required to stand for extended periods of time and to perform repetitive tasks.
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be given full consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Completed applications will include a cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation and/or professional references. These materials should be submitted (preferably electronically) to:
Office of Human Resources
Southern Virginia University
One University Hill Drive
Buena Vista, VA 24416