Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for full-time employment as the University’s Purchasing Agent.
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for the acquisition of materials, supplies, and equipment for various University departments in accordance with established policies and procedures to ensure fair price, quality, and timeliness.
- Responsible for negotiating, extending, administering, and terminating contracts with University vendors.
- Manage relationships with vendors and ensures compliance with contracts.
- Confer with University departments regarding requirements, specifications, and deliveries.
- Coordinate with departments to clarify requests, add needed information, or research and obtain appropriate supporting documentation for purchases.
- Recommend to departments product substitutes where there will be cost savings and/or improved delivery results.
- Complete credit applications for submission to new vendors.
- Oversee processing of all University purchase orders.
- Advise Vice President of Finance and Controller/Chief Accounting Officer on recommended changes to purchasing policies and procedures.
- Train and advise departments on purchasing policies and procedures and provides vendor sources.
- Leads and serves the University and the staff by example in supporting the university’s mission, core values (which are scholarship, discipleship, accountability, enthusiasm and refinement), and policies in their work ethic and overall job performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two to three years of purchasing and contract negotiation or related experience preferred.
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be given full consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Completed applications will include a cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation and/or professional references. These materials should be submitted (preferably electronically) to:
Office of Human Resources
Southern Virginia University
One University Hill Drive
Buena Vista, VA 24416
or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.