Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for full-time employment as the University’s Career Planning Specialist.
The Career Planning Specialist provides individual and group academic, career, and personal counseling to students in a manner that empowers them in their ability to explore their educational opportunities, set and establish goals, and achieve academic success.
- Advise students on professional opportunities including internships, full-time employment, grad-schools, shadowing, and mentoring opportunities.
- Aid students to select majors and professional concentrations.
- Engage with students in personal exploration exercises.
- Work to increase professional opportunities (employment and advanced degrees) for students.
- Coordinate and host on-campus events.
- Assist students with individualized career strategies and applications.
- Manage student staff.
- Instruct select classes.
- Present regularly to large groups of students, staff, and faculty.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates with teaching and career counseling experience or college-level classroom teaching experience.
- Candidates must possess well-developed clinical assessment skills and high standards of ethical behavior and demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with co-workers and with other departments within the university.
- Strong interpersonal skills and technological capabilities are needed.
- Candidate must be comfortable speaking publicly to large groups.
- Candidate must be willing to travel.
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Those interested should submit a resume to Cameron Crowther at firstname.lastname@example.org.