Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for temporary, full-time employment as a Café Assistant Manager in Auxiliary Services.
Responsible for the operations of the café and supervision of the student employees in the café working the evening shift.
- Hire, train, and assist student employees to ensure high-quality customer service and efficiency
- Oversee cash accounting and procedures and ensure accurate accounting of cafe inventory
- Ensure proper procedures and regulations are followed to ensure food quality and safety
- Occasionally meet with regulators to perform inspections
- Make food and supply orders with vendors ensuring proper inventory and best pricing
- Contribute to marketing ideas and execution
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of food service industry
- Attention to detail and communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure in handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to use discretion and independent judgment to resolve issues and make sound decisions
- Proficiency with typical office equipment
- Proficiency with kitchen equipment including ovens, range, mixer, slicer, steamer, dish machine, deep fryer, grill, can opener, steam tables, salad bar, etc.
- High school diploma or GED
- Two year’s food service experience
Most work is performed in a kitchen or dining area; as such, there will be exposure to hazards such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, exposure to high heat, and exposure to chemicals. This can be a high-stress environment, especially at peak service hours. The worker is required to lift 50 pounds occasionally.
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be given full consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Completed applications will include a cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation and/or professional references. These materials should be submitted (preferably electronically) to:
Office of Human Resources
Southern Virginia University
One University Hill Drive
Buena Vista, VA 24416