Southern Virginia University invites qualified individuals to apply for full-time employment as the University’s Accountant.
The Accountant reports directly to the Senior Accountant and provides multiple accounting services related to preparing, analyzing, maintaining and reviewing various financial statements, records and reports for the University.
- Prepares journal entries and maintains general ledger of the university to ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses
- Accurately reconciles bank statements and resolves accounting discrepancies and irregularities
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual tax and other governmental report forms
- Continuous support of budget and forecast activities
- Analyzes and advises on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments, and future revenues
- Performs problem solving/trouble shooting with other departments relating to financial/accounting/business issues
- Assists in compiling financial and other data for internal and federal reports
- Assists with financial audit preparation
- Assists in preparing financial statements and other financial reports
- Assists the Controller to ensure compliance with university policies
- Assists the Controller with budget functions as needed
- Supports the Controller and Senior Accountant with special projects
- Serves the university and the staff by example in supporting the university’s mission, core values (which are scholarship, discipleship, accountability, enthusiasm and refinement), and policies in their work ethic and overall job performance
- Performs other duties as may be assigned
- Two years of experience in the accounting field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
Southern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be given full consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Completed applications will include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. These materials should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.