Based primarily on the values and guidelines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, our Standards of Conduct consists of (1) the Code of Honor, (2) Dress and Grooming Standards, and (3) Community Bill of Rights. Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with and abiding by the Standards of Conduct.
We live honest, chaste, and virtuous lives; abide by the law; and show respect for ourselves and others. Our conduct is consistent with the standards of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It also reflects our core values of scholarship, discipleship, accountability, enthusiasm, and refinement in our quest to become leader-servants. Students commit to keep the rules of the Code of Honor and live by its guidelines for the entire duration of their enrollment at Southern Virginia University.
- We do not lie, cheat, plagiarize, or steal.
- We complete our own work and are evaluated based upon that work.
- We encourage others to do the same.
Chastity & Virtue
- As unmarried students we practice sexual abstinence.
- As married students we practice complete fidelity.
- We avoid pornography, media, and entertainment that advocates immorality, profanity, and violence.
- In personal relationships we refrain from excessive public displays of affection.
Obedience to the Law
- We abide by local, state, and federal laws and university policies.
- We pay our debts on time.
- We honor our contracts, and are good neighbors.
- We treat ourselves with respect.
- We abstain from alcohol, tobacco, and other harmful substances.
- We do not use illegal or other harmful drugs, nor do we abuse medications.
Respect for Others
- We show respect for other people, the university and facilities.
- We refrain from behavior and activities that disrupt the safety and peace of others and jeopardize the harmony of the university community.
We espouse the core value of refinement in our dress, grooming, and manners. Our outward appearance tends to reflect our inner values.
- Clothing should be modest and appropriate for the occasion.
- Men and women are to be clean and well-groomed.
- They are to avoid extremes in clothing, appearance and hairstyle.
- Men are to be clean-shaven, although trimmed moustaches are permissible.
- Students are not to acquire tattoos or body piercings.
- Preexisting tattoos should be covered as much as is practical.
- If women have their ears pierced, they should wear only one pair of earrings.
- Men do not wear earrings.
- Additional dress and grooming standards for specific settings may be required by faculty, coaches, or other university personnel.
Southern Virginia University is committed to providing a wholesome atmosphere for all students. A Knight’s Decorum consists of policies that apply while you are a student or are representing the University off campus.
The Community Bill of Rights is based on the principles of courtesy and respect for the rights of the individual, the law, property, the university, and the community at large. All residents have the right to:
- A drug-free environment
- A pornography-free environment
- Freedom from vulgarity and immorality
- Adequate sleep
- A clean room
- Safety and security
- Respect for personal belongings
- Freedom from theft
- Kindness and patience
- Tolerance and courtesy
- Honest roommates
- Willingness to resolve grievances
- Freedom from intimidation or harassment
- Freedom from ridicule or persecution
- Free access to one’s personal room
- Privacy within stated policies
I accept the sacred trust placed in me to carry on Southern Virginia University’s heritage of honor in my efforts to become a leader-servant. I freely pledge to abide by the Standards of Conduct in all of my activities.